Reproductive biology of three commercially valuable Santalum species: development of flowers and inflorescences, breeding systems, and interspecific crossability
Tamla, H.T., Cornelius, J.P., and Page, T. (2012) Reproductive biology of three commercially valuable Santalum species: development of flowers and inflorescences, breeding systems, and interspecific crossability. Euphytica, 184 (3). pp. 323-333.
|PDF (Published Version) - Repository staff only - Requires a PDF viewer such as GSview, Xpdf or Adobe Acrobat Reader|
View at Publisher Website: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10681-011-053...
Santalum (sandalwood) spp. are hemi-parasitic trees, the heartwood of which produces valuable aromatic oil. There appears to be a significant commercial opportunity for establishment of a planted sandalwood resource. However, lack of basic biological knowledge is one constraint on such development. The study reported here addresses one such constraint. Controlled pollination using 13 genotypes of Santalum lanceolatum was undertaken to elucidate (i) self-incompatibility (ii) intraspecific cross-compatibility in the species, and (iii) interspecific cross-compatibility with S. album and S. austrocaledonicum. S. lanceolatum may be considered to have a facultative allogamous (incomplete outbreeding) breeding system. This study found variation between genotypes in the level of putative self-incompatibility: some (20%) were found to set seed following self-pollination, while the remaining 80% had no seed development with such pollinations. However, a significantly greater proportion of genotypes developed seed following intraspecific cross-pollination (62%) compared with self-pollination (20%). While total geographic isolation and significant morphological divergence exists between S. lanceolatum with each of S. album and S. austrocaledonicum this study found no indication of reproductive barrier(s) between them, indicating potential for use of interspecific hybridization in genetic improvement, but also suggesting the potential of undesirable gene flow between native and introduced species.
|Item Type:||Article (Refereed Research - C1)|
|Keywords:||mating system, sandalwood, genetic improvement|
|FoR Codes:||07 AGRICULTURAL AND VETERINARY SCIENCES > 0705 Forestry Sciences > 070501 Agroforestry @ 100%|
|SEO Codes:||82 PLANT PRODUCTION AND PLANT PRIMARY PRODUCTS > 8202 Horticultural Crops > 820299 Horticultural Crops not elsewhere classified @ 100%|
|Deposited On:||21 Feb 2012 16:15|
|Last Modified:||18 Jun 2013 01:43|
Last 12 Months: 1
|Citation Counts with External Providers:||Web of Science: 0|
Repository Staff Only: item control page