The changing role of the 'Catts Telescope': the life and times of a nineteenth century 20-inch Grubb reflector
Orchiston, Wayne (2010) The changing role of the 'Catts Telescope': the life and times of a nineteenth century 20-inch Grubb reflector. Journal of Astronomical History and Heritage, 13 (3). pp. 235-254.
|PDF (Published Version) - Requires a PDF viewer such as GSview, Xpdf or Adobe Acrobat Reader|
An historic 20-in (50.8-cm) Grubb reflector originally owned by the London amateur astronomer, Henry Ellis, was transferred to Australia in 1928. After passing through a number of amateur owners the Catts Telescope - as it became known locally - was acquired by Mount Stromlo Observatory in 1952, and was then used for astrophysical research and for site-testing. In the mid-1960s the telescope was transferred to the University of Western Australia and was installed at Perth Observatory, but with other demands on the use of the dome it was removed in 1999 and placed in storage, thus ending a century of service to astronomy in England and Australia.
|Item Type:||Article (Refereed Research - C1)|
Reproduced with permission from Journal of Astronomical History and Heritage.
|Keywords:||Catts Telescope, Henry Ellis, Walter Gale, Mount Stromlo Observatory, Mount Bingar field station, photoelectric photometry, spectrophotometry, Lawrence Aller, Bart Bok, Priscilla Bok, Olin Eggen, Don Faulkner, John Graham, Arthur Hogg, Gerald Kron, Pamela Kennedy, Antoni Przybylski, David Sher, Robert Shobbrook, Bengt Westerlund, John Whiteoak, Frank Bradshaw Wood|
|FoR Codes:||02 PHYSICAL SCIENCES > 0201 Astronomical and Space Sciences > 020199 Astronomical and Space Sciences not elsewhere classified @ 100%|
|SEO Codes:||97 EXPANDING KNOWLEDGE > 970102 Expanding Knowledge in the Physical Sciences @ 100%|
|Deposited On:||15 Apr 2011 13:05|
|Last Modified:||15 Apr 2011 13:05|
Last 12 Months: 27
Repository Staff Only: item control page