GAEC1 and colorectal cancer: a study of the relationships between a novel oncogene and clinicopathologic features
Gopalan, Vinod, Smith, Robert A., Nassiri, Mohammad R., Yasuda, Koichi, Salajegheh, Ali, Kim, Sang Y., Ho, Yik-hong, Weinstein, Stephen, Tang, Johnny C.-O., and Lam, Alfred K.-Y. (2010) GAEC1 and colorectal cancer: a study of the relationships between a novel oncogene and clinicopathologic features. Human Pathology, 41 (7). pp. 1009-1015.
|PDF (Published Version) - Repository staff only - Requires a PDF viewer such as GSview, Xpdf or Adobe Acrobat Reader|
View at Publisher Website: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2009...
GAEC1 is a novel gene located at 7q22.1 that was detected in our previous work in esophageal cancer. The aims of the present study are to identify the copy number of GAEC1 in different colorectal tissues including carcinomas, adenomas, and nonneoplastic tissues and characterize any links to pathologic factors. The copy number of GAEC1 was studied by evaluating the quantitative amplification of GAEC1 DNA in 259 colorectal tissues (144 adenocarcinomas, 31 adenomas, and 84 nonneoplastic tissues) using real-time polymerase chain reaction. Copy number of GAEC1 DNA in colorectal adenocarcinomas was higher in comparison with nonneoplastic colorectum. Seventy-nine percent of the colorectal adenocarcinomas showed amplification and 15% showed deletion of GAEC1 (P < .0001). Of the adenomas, 90% showed deletion of GAEC1, with the remaining 10% showing normal copy number. The differences in GAEC1 copy number between colorectal adenocarcinoma, colorectal adenoma, and nonneoplastic colorectal tissue are significant (P < .0001). GAEC1 copy number was significantly higher in adenocarcinomas located in distal colorectum compared with proximal colon (P = .03). In conclusion, GAEC1 copy number was significantly different between colorectal adenocarcinomas, adenomas, and nonneoplastic colorectal tissues. The copy number was also related to the site of the cancer. These findings along with previous work in esophageal cancer imply that GAEC1 is commonly involved in the pathogenesis of colorectal adenocarcinoma.
|Item Type:||Article (Refereed Research - C1)|
|Keywords:||colorectum, adenocarcinoma, adenoma, GAEC1, Gene|
|FoR Codes:||11 MEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES > 1112 Oncology and Carcinogenesis > 111201 Cancer Cell Biology @ 100%|
|SEO Codes:||92 HEALTH > 9201 Clinical Health (Organs, Diseases and Abnormal Conditions) > 920102 Cancer and Related Disorders @ 100%|
|Deposited On:||07 May 2011 10:41|
|Last Modified:||23 May 2013 01:34|
Last 12 Months: 0
|Citation Counts with External Providers:||Web of Science: 2|
Repository Staff Only: item control page